Finance Director career vacancy Cape Town
Career vacancy: Finance Director job South Africa May 2016
Location : Cape Town, Observatory, Black River Park
Finance Director Job Description:
John Brown Media
The John Brown Group was acquired by the Dentsu Aegis Network group in May 2015. John Brown South Africa (Pty) Ltd is seeking to appoint a finance director. The position is based in Cape Town and will report directly to the managing director and also have a dotted reporting line to the group CFO in South Africa and London.
John Brown Media is part of the global John Brown Media Group. Our clients include Pick n Pay, BMW/Mini, Edgars, Discovery, Spur and Total locally and Waitrose, John Lewis, Orange, RBS Bank and Spinneys globally. We have offices in Cape Town, Johannesburg, London, Dubai, and Hong Kong. We are an omni-channel content marketing agency and our activities include the publishing of magazines, catalogues and digital work for a variety of clients. The position will act as a business partner to the managing director.
The SA finance director is the most senior financial appointment within the SA business and he/she is responsible for the coordination of the finance function and all finance matters relating thereto.
The SA finance director will be a seasoned finance professional. You will have a strong intellect, analytical and strategic planning skills combined with a grounded, commercial outlook. You will have excellent people leadership skills, with an ability to build excellent working relationships across the business and with a wide range of stakeholders. You will be strong on detail whilst seeing the bigger picture, someone who sees finance as a partner to the business.
Finance and operations:
- Preparation of monthly management accounts for local management and monthly board packs for London.
- Preparation of annual budgets.
- Reporting of overheads.
- Management of sales and purchase functions and cash flow.
- Liaison with finance teams/accountants in SA and London.
- Point of first contact for all daily bank and treasury matters.
- Local banking and insurances
- Preparation of monthly payroll with the HR department.
Statutory and regulatory compliance:
- VAT returns
- Preparation of statutory accounts of all SA group companies.
- Completion of national statistics.
- Preparation of year-end audit files and liaison with auditors and tax advisers.
- Maintenance of statutory books for all SA companies.
- Maintenance of client contract files.
Client reporting and profitability:
- To carry out periodic review of current client P&Ls and to work with the managing director to improve client profitability.
- To assist the new business team and senior management on preparing remuneration proposals for existing and new clients.
Broad Based Black Economic Empowerment:
- Oversee, and actively engage with the JBSA Broad Based Black Economic Empowerment scorecard, in particular preferential procurement, socio economic development, ownership and enterprise development
- You will work on the portfolio in conjunction with the human resources manager
Ad hoc/project work:
- Capital expenditure reviews – buy vs. lease.
- Evaluation of new business streams and opportunities.
This role is pivotal to the finance function and has full responsibility for the financial reporting of the company’s results to all internal and external stakeholders from original transaction through management accounts to full statutory accounts.
Key relationships to manage include the UK and SA based finance teams, local senior management and external auditors, bankers. The role is broad and encompasses tax compliance and planning, full cash and treasury management together with company secretarial and audit responsibilities.
The person will be responsible for first line management of the accounting and finance team.
- Full accountability for all financial reporting and the strong financial control environment including ownership of general ledger and chart of account structures.
- Management of the audit, insurance and tax processes ensuring compliance is maintained whilst opportunities are explored.
- Technical expertise and preparation of statutory accounts.
- Monthly reporting of results and ad hoc queries from the UK JBM head office finance team.
- Lead, mentor and develop the finance team
- CA (SA)
- Five to eight years’ relevant experience
- Theoretical understanding and an in-depth practical knowledge of the BBBEE codes of good practice 2007 and 2013. Ideally three to four years’ experience working in the BBBEE space
- At least two years’ experience managing a finance team
- Thorough knowledge of General Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Thorough knowledge of relevant legislation
- Knowledge of Internal Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)
- Sound knowledge of budgeting processes
- Knowledge of people management and employee relations
- Proficiency in relevant software packages and applications
- Experience in the media and or publishing fields is advantageous
Please forward a detailed CV to firstname.lastname@example.org attention Ra’eesah Adams.
Closing date: 9 May 2016
Reference number: FD 01 (to be quoted in the subject line of the application email)
In line with our EE policy and requirements preference would be given to a suitably qualified person from the designated groups. However, all applications will be considered.
Please note that if you have not heard from us within two weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful. John Brown South Africa (Pty) Ltd reserves the right not to fill the position.